Tuesday, November 6, 2007

South Freeport Harbor - this boat would still be afloat!


I feel for the owner of this boat. As I photographed this New England catboat, I was encouraged to see that the boat looked to be in pretty good shape. I think the 60 mph winds off Cape Elizabeth came closer to the Eastern Prom in Portland and severed the mooring of this classic New England styled boat. Now, if this boat had been in South Freeport harbor, it would probably still be on it's mooring. South Freeport harbor is extremely well protected from nor easters, which typically blow out of the north east. I spoke with a sailor from Cape Elizabeth last night who said his 23' sailboat takes a regular beating from the large boat traffic going in and out of Portland harbor. In fact, this Cape Elizabeth high school teacher said his mast broke when the back stay snapped after the boat was impacted by a huge swell from a ferry boat. He seemed sort of jealous that I keep my Cape Cod Bullseye in the protected waters of the Harraseeket river.

No comments: