Friday, November 16, 2007

Bustins Island - The nubble


This octagonal cottage actually is slightly offshore from Bustins and is referred to by islanders as the "nubble". I don't have any background information to offer on this cottage; consequently, I'm hoping to solicit valuable insight from those who are reading my blog to provide architectural and historical details on this property. I was very appreciative to the anonymous writer yesterday who provided valuable insight into the green cottage by the propane dock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Nubble was built in 1909 by Arthur Reynolds, who was, at the time, superintendent of the Electric Street Railway in Freeport.there was originally a portable bridge or trestle that connected it to Bustins Island but it became impractical to set it up every year and so its use was discontinued after a few years. The Nubble was sold to the Paul Nickerson family in 1925. today it is owned by the Drew family and while it can be accessed by foot at low tide, it can only be accessed by boat at high tide.

Steve Drake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Drake said...

I just want to thank you again for the history of The Nubble several days ago. When I have an opportunity to sail around Bustins next summer, I will have a greater appreciation of island history