Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A West Freeport Gem


This is one of my favorite Freeport properties which I drive by every day. The driveway is lined by two rows of maple trees which gives the property a European feel.
About 5 years ago, I met Lester Noyes of Famouth who grew up in this house. Lester mentioned that he would walk to Freeport on the Pownal Road, then a dirt road, to enjoy an evening out on the town. I imagine that he would walk to school in Freeport in all kinds of weather. He told me that he remembers cars from the 1920's and 1930's getting stuck in the mud after a hard rain. Today the Palmer family owns the property and has taken great care of it. Lester had told me that this property had become a derelict property before the Pamer family bought it. This property should be protected from development just like Andy LeMaitre's Mitchell Ledge farm off Flying Point Road. I think LeMaitre made out quite nicely by receiving a generous amount of money from the Land for Maine's future as well as private donors in town. Perhaps the Freeport Conservation trust has spoken with the Palmer family about conserving the land. I hope so!

No comments: