Thursday, March 6, 2008

Meet Jim - Freeport DiMillo's Yact Salesman



I pulled into DiMillo's lot this fine, sunny morning and saw some pretty impressive motor yachts under winter wraps. I did manage to fix my eyes on one lonely sailboat in the 30' length range for sale that piqued my interest. I will report on that at the end of today's post.
Jim and I had lots to talk about during our nearly one hour interview. Soon after sitting down, Jim was tempting me with glossy brochures of sleek, Down East style, aka lobster boat sytled, new power yachts. In fact, I'm drooling over the Back Cove 26' and the Back Cove 29' brochures as I write. Back Cove yachts is a sister company to Sabre Motor Yachts. Back Cove yachts offers less teak and bright work; yet imprssive style and less money than a Sabre.
I told Jim that I race on a Sabre 34' sailboat named Milady; owned by Kris, a Freeport cabinet maker. Kris keeps his Sabre 34' is top condition. He also is competitive and whips his crew into great shape for the Harraseeket Yacht Club summer wednesday evening races.
Jim manages the Freeport Maine office of DiMillo's Yacht Sales. His primarily function is to focus on selling new and brokerage yacts; including, Sabre, Back Cove and Criss Craft brands. Prior to yacht sales, Jim sold surgical supplies for 10 years.
DiMillo's is highly recognized name in greater Portland because of it's long standing good reputation for fine seafood on a floating restaurant with a floating marina next door. Chris DiMillo, son of the founder of DiMillo's restaurant, launched DiMillo's Yacht Sales back in 1998. Like Jim, Chris sold surgical supplies in California just after he got out of college. When Chris' dad called him to see if he would be interested in managing a yacht sales business, Chris jumped at the opportunity to be back in Maine. However, Chris wanted DiMillo's yacht sales to be his own venture; independent of his father. You might ask if Chris has been successful? The answer is a resounding "YES". Right now DiMillo's is the number 1 Sabre Motor Yacht dealer in the world. Jim says the Sabre Motor Yact dealers in Massachusetts are green with envy about the stellar success of Portland based DiMillos Yacht Sales.
Built in South Casco Maine near Sebago Lake, Sabre states in it's advertising "At Sabre, we believe every detail in a boat should have the power to move you - not just transport you." Check out the boats at http://www.dimillos.com/ and see if you agree.

DiMillo's has four locations including Portland Maine, Freeport Maine, Freeport New York and Montauk New York. Beginning this summer, DiMillo's will have a sales office in Bar Harbor which Jim feels will be an incredible venue to sky rocket boat sales with nearby Hinkley and Morris Yacht sales offices. DiMillo's has 25 employees; eight of whom are yacht brokers. There are six service guys including a master marine electrician, marine mechanic, boat washer and service manager. I should also mentioned that I had the pleasure of meeting Graham who is the service manager.
Jim picked up on my interest in that one sailboat on his lot. Like a good salesman, he encouraged me to make an offer. And yes, even to consider financing for a 1968 Netherland's built and sort of Bristol yacht styled Complex Contest. I had never heard of the boat manufacturer but the boat's sweet lines and wood trim spoke to me and give me something to bring up with my wife this evening. Fortunately, my wife likes to sail. With 3 kids heading for college, I'm not sure it would be a wise move to follow my instincts to make an offer on the Netherland's contest!

No comments: