Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mandatory Fun for my Freeport Teens




If you have teenagers and your family lives in the Freeport area, they will ask repeatedly to be taken to the Maine Mall. As my teens don't yet drive, such a request was made to me this past Saturday. I can't stand going to the Maine Mall unless I really need something I can't buy elsewhere. So I told my kids that I needed to go see some crashing surf before taking them to the mall. Periodically, they need to be reminded that they live in an incredibly beautiful state with some of the most dramatic coastline in the country. I think they enjoyed the view for about two minutes because a northerly wind was blowing between 20 and 30 knots. As you can see from my picture, I was having a great time even though I was suffering with a nasty cold. For more information about Two Lights, go to http://maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/bedrock/sites/jun02.htm
Briefly Two Lights State Park is in Cape Elizabeth covering 41 acres. From the parking lot you can climb an old WWII bunker used for U-boat sightings that affords a dramatic view of crashing surf that you don't get at Winslow Park in Freeport. You are just a half mile from Crescent Beach which is a favorite beach of ours in the summer. Both of these natural treasures are located 8 miles south of Portland.

No comments: